Equal Opportunity Measures
The GRK2162 aims to promote gender equality and to increase the compatibility of family and career.
But how can we
- achieve a gender balance in the research system (especially at the project management level) and
- make a scientific career compatible with family commitments?
Or to put in more easy words: How to make a career in science as a women? How to combine a family with a scientific career?
Our gender equality measures:
- promotes your career as a woman by e.g. paying participation fees for mentoring programmes, soft skill courses, advanced training offers, management training, networking events specialized for women etc.
- offers individual and group coaching for female junior scientists
- organizes career workshops such as our “Women’s Career Day” to reveal diverse career opportunities and discuss female career topics
Our measures to increase compatibility of family and career:
We are very happy that several of our doctoral students decided to have children during their active time within the GRK2162 and that all our postdoctoral researchers have children. Children are always welcome to join our social events and accompany us to our annual retreats.
The GRK is part of the F3G („Forschungsverbünde der Friedrich-Alexander-Universität Erlangen-Nürnberg zur Förderung der Gleichstellung“) which is an incorporation of several DFG-funded projects at the FAU and the University Hospital to more effectively promote gender equality measures and the compatibility of family and career.
- offers reserved places in daycare centers (pre-kindergarten, kindergarten and after school centers) and for child care during holidays as well as special holiday projects in collaboration with the F3G
- offers babysitting (via the babysitter service of the Family Center of the FAU) to enable participation during talks, retreats, etc. or for long experiments or advanced trainings (beyond the normal child care times at the (pre)kindergarten)
- supports child care during conferences to enable participation
- provides home office working places
- offers support of scientific work by a technical assisant or research assistant (HiWi) especially while women are pregnant or breast-feeding or later on for routine work to decrease work load
We encourage all doctoral reserachers and postdoctoral fellows to apply for any of these measures.